Taking a tour? Some things to keep top of mind.
Planning to take a tour of a senior living community? There are thousands of Senior Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care communities to choose from in the U.S. alone. When you narrow your choices down to your top few, the next step is usually an in-person tour of the community. Whenever someone tours Quail Park on Cypress we want to make sure they get the most out of their visit and that all their important questions are asked and answered.
We highly recommend that when you tour a senior living community, you come with your own questions in mind. Here’s a starter checklist of items to keep top of mind when you’re looking at a Retirement, Assisted Living, or Memory Care community.
- Were you greeted promptly by front desk team and offered assistance and refreshment? You should feel welcome in a senior living community you would select for your loved one.
- As you tour the community, observe staff and resident interactions. Is the staff patient, helpful and kind? Were you greeted and welcomed by residents and staff as you toured? Did the residents seem happy?
- Did you observe residents socializing with each other and/or attending activities? Ask a resident about their community experiences.
- Was there an Activity/Life Engagement calendar posted or is there one in the tour packet? If so, do any of the planned activities meet your or your family member’s needs? Would your loved one enjoy the socialization on the calendar of events in the senior living communities?
- Is the building clean and odor free?
- Are the hallways, doorways, and common areas conducive for safe walking, or using a cane or walker?
- Take the time to have a meal. Is the service friendly and attentive? Are the dining hours and food choices flexible? Did the staff meet your food handling expectations? How was the food?
- Take time to meet the Executive Director and other key team members. Did they answer all your questions?
- How many staff members are scheduled throughout the day?
- What is the evening availability of the Care Team, and the system for obtaining assistance 24-hours a day?
- Ask about staff training and credentials. Meet the licensed nurse at the Community.
- How many hours per day or per week is the nurse in the building?
- Is the most recent state survey available for review?
- Has this facility helped you see that senior living communities are a healthy place for your loved one?
SIGN UP FOR OUR E-NEWSLETTER
“From the first contact with Quail Park through the move-in and the creation of a customized care plan, the team at Quail Park worked with us every step of the way.”
Daughter of Resident